Saturday, November 22, 2014

The craft of selling and storytelling

My sisters and I were brought up to be storytellers.  Makers of creative messes, of good food, of comfortable homes, but above all else- we can all craft a good story.

My dad would tell you it comes from him.  My goodness, can Mayor Gary get his shine on when he has an audience!!!  I remember when he used to be the Artist in Residence at a local museum how people would come from all over, not only to watch him carve decoys, but to hear his stories- about Atlanic White Cedar, South Jersey, his grandpop, the old Piney ways.  I'm not sure what bits were true (and I don't know if he knows either), but it doesn't really matter.  When people walk away from him, they have been entertained.  Their lives are richer for having his story become theirs.

My mother, on the other hand, is a different kind of story teller.  She is a good listener of others' stories, and as she listens, she weaves parts of her story into yours, mirroring herself in commonalities, and interjecting bits of Godly wisdom throughout... so that when you're finished talking, you're not quite sure where your story ends and hers begins.  And people's lives are richer for having heard her words.

I love making, I love selling, but more than anything else, starting my own business has given me the platform to become a story teller.  Because when people choose to buy something handmade, yes, they care about the product, but most importantly, they are purchasing a piece of your story that they can now tell others.  

It is amazing how bits of colored wool when strung on twine can tell a tale, but they do- of walks in the woods, of colors on the beach, of a sighting of a rainbow, of cool winters.  They bring to mind songs, and books, and movies.  They tie together pieces of room that are filled with color--all in one place.     

And having colors made from wool...well, that just brings on a story of its own.  About sheep, about fiber, about filling your home with elements that come from nature.   

And then of course if you've been following my instagram, you know this little guy.  Felton has become quite the important member of my team.  He lets me show off what I'm doing in my workshop in a fun and creative story-telling kind of way. 




Nothing excites me more than when people invite my products to become a piece of their home and their story that they want to share with their family.

I sell a lot of garlands to people who want them for birthday parties, or to jazz up their office cubicle, or to hang in their living room or mantle or Christmas tree, but nesting mamas are my FAVORITE customers.  I can connect so strongly to expecting mamas who want to put together a room that will bless their babies.  There is something so innately deep within us that longs to surround our children with beauty when they arrive into this world, and the fact that I get to be a part of that process, just butters my bread like nothing else.

Here are a few of the lovely photos that customers have shared with me:

Photo credit:  http://sassyfrasstudios.com/


Photo credit:  @iskarzhinets on Instagram


This garland got here just in time for when baby E got home from the hospital.  Doesn't it just hurt your guts its so cute??!?!  *Note the sheep ornament on the mirror.  :) 

 Do I or do I not have the best job in the entire world??? I get to stay home with my family while at the same time connect with people all over the world who choose to fill their home with things that have come from makers and story tellers.

I'm having one of those "my life is grand and I need to talk about it" kind of days.  Now back to stringing wool felt balls..... 


P.S. If you have a Little Sheep Felt Ball Garland and would like to share its story, please tag us in your instagram photo with @sheepfarmfelt or share it on our facebook page.  

And here's a link to our etsy shop in case you want your own Little Sheep Garland!  

2 comments:

  1. Megan... you are a word-crafter, not falling far from your family tree. Fills me with warmth and love, and the idea that life is good, even on the not-so-good days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheree, for your kind words. That means a lot coming from an excellent word-crafter yourself! :)

      Delete