Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's not easy being green....when you're too busy being thankful

For me, I know what triggers the ugly green jealousy monster in me.


Going on facebook and seeing photos of adorable children in matching outfits standing in front of Cinderella's castle.  

Seeing new mommies lose baby weight DAYS after giving birth to their little bundles of joy.  

Watching House Hunters on HGTV where everyone can't POSSIBLY live without granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, an on-suite bathroom with double vanities, a finished basement, and walk-in closets that are bigger than my bedroom.

And scouring in Pinterest for ideas and an hour later feeling like a terrible cook, awful mother, bad decorator, and general failure at life.

Why does it always seem like everyone else has it all?!?!  

Jealousy is one of those seemingly "acceptable" sins that appears small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  However, I think if envy is given a foothold, it can destroy relationships, self-esteem, and most importantly- become a stumbling block in our relationship with God.  After all, wasn't the first sin really all about being dissatisfied, claiming, "God, you have left me with less than what I really need?"  When we're too busy looking at others and what they have, we are completely missing out on the blessings that God has given to us.

When you feel jealousy rearing its ugly green head, the best way to combat feeling dissatisfied, is to concentrate on things you are thankful for.  Try keeping a gratitude journal!  For me, keeping an account on my daily blessing has made my life seem fuller, richer, and abounding with so many blessings that it is impossible for me to go moping about my house wishing for trivial things like double sinks and trips to sunny Florida to see Mickey.

God is good.  He gives us what we need because He loves us.  Let's encourage one another to be abounding in gratitude!

  "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him,  rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."  Col 2:6-7

1 comment:

  1. This is a great reminder, Megan. Facebook can be a really unhealthy place for me, too. But I remember something Mom used to tell us: "Never be jealous of anyone unless you would want to completely trade everything you have and everything you are with them." When it comes down to it, I am truly grateful for what God has given me, and I wouldn't trade my life and my family for anything!

    ReplyDelete